In March 04 we bought a Kenmore side by side frig and didn’t get the extended warranty since the compressor was covered for five years. A couple of weeks ago the frig stopped cooling although the freezer continued to freeze. I talked to a Sears service guy who told me it was probably just the thermostat, a $25 item and it wouldn’t cost much to repair; so we set up an appointment with Sears service.

The joker showed up finally and announced without even looking that the “damper” had gone out, the vent between the freezer and the frig was closed. He said this was a very common problem in refrigerators that are digitally controlled. He indicated that this was a big deal and would be expensive. He had to go back out to his truck do an estimate. He came in with an estimate of $298, including a $5 fuel surcharge for his travel and $90 for parts.

After his description of the problem, we thought he would be at work for an hour to two and have to tear down the unit and rebuild it. Instead, he had my wife clean off the top shelf in both the frig and the freezer, and with a screwdriver quickly removed the defective damper/diffuser, pulled out a new part which he had brought in from his truck and plugged it in. His entire time with the refrigerator was little over ten minutes during which time he tried to sell us a one year guarantee for $100.

Now keep in mind, his labor was nothing complex, not like say changing the oil in a car or the spark plug on a mower, but he charged us at a rate of over $800 per hour. Do brain surgeons make this much? Also, the part that went out was actually a small electric motor, the type that should cost under $20 in the real world. When I complained about the outrageous overcharge, he said it was Sears who was making all the money, not him.

We felt completely ripped off. Had he told us what it was he was actually going to do, I would have ordered the part and replaced it myself. But we had been mislead by the other *** telling us it was probably a thermostat.

We told the guy that we would never buy another Sears appliance.

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

Edinburg, Virginia, United States #24221

"grover" you're the one who looks petty and ***. The amount of money he paid for this *** job isn't petty.

He is "going public" so other people don't get scammed the same way. Maybe if someone else HAD ALREADY gone public with something like this, then KansasVic wouldn't have fallen victim to this. Most normal people want to trust that they are not going to get screwed by the big name companies they trust. Sears makes Boukou money on their *** service contracts and high cost parts and labor - their products aren't inexpensive but are cheaply made.

I quit using Sears a long time ago.

Also, judging from the number of other similar complaints I see on Sears, the entire company needs to be flayed. If he's "content" with what he did, what's it to you?

Edinburg, Virginia, United States #24220

I quit using Sears a long time ago.

Kent, England, United Kingdom #23522

This is excessive but it would be a good idea to check with his supervisor first and his supervisor and so on.

Did Sears dispatch explain how the bill is caculated before they came out?Also you can look up the price of the part by going to parts on Sears.com by using your 9 digit model number.Make sure you enter at least the first 8 numbers.

It sounds like 200$ for 10 minutes work.Was this an hourly tech?Also check with the local agencies like the Better Business Bureau or even code enforcement-make sure at the company has a license for that locality and type of work.

Pleasant Dale, Nebraska, United States #23105

Did you bother to even call this guy's boss, or are you content with just flaying an entire company publicly because of this one tech's apparent lack of concern?

Seriously, you should at least try to get a better resolution before you go public with something like this. You look petty and ***.