With Company response Not resolved

We purchased a Samsung Steam Washer and Dryer set for over $3000 from Sears just six months ago, after our previous washer failed. Our previous washer and dryer set, a Fridgidare model, was only 2 years old, and purchased for $1500. We did not purchase a protection plan for that set, and the quotes to fix the washer were over $500 (almost the cost of the washer itself!).

We decided to buy a higher quality machine in hopes of not needing to repair it for a long period of time. This time around we decided to purchase the Master Protection Plan to try to protect ourselves from the possibility of astronomical pricing on repairs, etc.

When the washer failed last week It just wouldn't turn on, nothing. No pushing any combination of buttons, no restarting the cycle, no nothing. Just stopped mid cycle, and left us with soaking wet clothes, and a ton of water in the drum. Oddly enough, the light worked for the washer, so we knew it had to be something other than a power supply). We promptly called the 800-number to schedule an appointment. Upon calling the lady who picked up asked us ridiculous questions, like was it plugged in, is the breaker flipped, etc. I wanted to scream! I know this is procedure, but honestly?? I know it doesn't work. It's not responding one bit. Just schedule an appointment for me!!!

We were told the next appointment they had was in a week. We had no choice but to take what they had. Our appointment came around, and the technician showed up in the time frame were confirmed, however, he proceeded to tell us the motherboard of the machine was fried, and we'd need a new one...

Did he have one? Nope.

We were told to call Sears to have the part ordered.

Could Sears get us one quickly? Nope.

We needed to wait 2 weeks.

At this point, we haven't had a washer for over a week, and have been paying $3 a load to do our laundry at the laundromat. With three dogs, you can imagine we are paying through the nose to keep things clean. When we explained this to the representative who was ordering the part, she said we could rent a washer, and be reimbursed.

Could she help us with that? Nope.

We needed to speak to another department... God forbid the people working at Sears might actually be able to do more than one thing at a time.

Was there a rental center near us?? Nope.

The closest rental center is 15 miles away.

And to add insult to injury, we have to pay for the rental, and then we'll get reimbursed? Give me a frickin break!! Why doesn't Sears have a rental center where they can loan their patrons with the master protection plan the appliance they need to function in every day life, without paying out of their own pockets?? Why do WE have to go rent these items, and then wait 8-10 weeks for Sears to reimburse us? This is the biggest load of *** I have ever heard!!

When speaking with the representative about the rental, we asked why they couldn't just give us a new washer? After all, we paid a hefty fee for the protection plan. We were told we didn't meet the lemon law criteria, and we would need to either have our washer have "the-same" malfunction 3 more times.... This is important!!! You could have a technician come out to your house 20 times in a year. But if they are coming out for something different every time, it doesn't mean you've met the criteria. It has to be "THE SAME" malfunction each time.

The only other way you can get a new appliance is if they can't fix it all at.. Lord only knows how many more parts we have to go through to see if this applies to us, but I have a suspicion that we are going to need more than a new motherboard, and I can only guess we'll be out a washer for another month or two..

We paid $500 for this protection plan, and basically it means nothing. I've read on consumer reports not to purchase these types of plans, but after our last W&D experience, I didn't want to have to practically pay for a whole new item by the time parts and labor are calculated on a repair!

We wrote a letter to the CEO of Sears, not that he'll actually even get it, but MARK MY WORDS.. I will NEVER again purchase anything from Sears!! This is the worst customer service I have ever received. I plan on sharing this story with as many people as possible, and I hope Sears fails as a company so no one else can be a victim of their terrible customer service, and scams of taking your money for protection plans that don't do anything!

GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Protection Plan.

Comments

SearsCares
#281905
Sears Response

To Cmrosiak,

I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your washer repair. It certainly sounds as if you’ve had a very frustrating experience that has yet to be resolved. This concerns us greatly and we do wish to discuss these experiences with you so that we may check into what happened and see if we can make this right for you.

My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (Cmrosiak) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Laura D.