In June 2009 I received a letter from Sears stating my credit card account was closed due to a report sent to them by Equifax. I had paid my balance in full the previous April and had a credit of fifty four cents on the account. I obtained my credit report from all three reporting agencies and found it to be pretty much accurate aside from a few addresses I never lived at.

I have one "ding" from a lawyer who tried to rip me off and I never paid nine years ago (before the Sears account was even opened!); when I contacted Sears to inquire about this I was told there was nothing that they could do. When I requested my fifty four cents be refunded to me I was told that they don't refund amounts that small. When I asked what would happen if I owed them fifty four cents and refused to pay I was told my account would be sent to collections.

After being transferred several times I got a manager who said she would refund the two dollar finance charge from the previous April (like she was doing me a huge favor!). I got a check for two dollars a few weeks later, which I promptly sent back with a very threatening letter insisting on the fifty four cents as well.

My letter mentioned the Fair Debt Collection Act, the Federal Trade Commission and my state's Attorney General's Office. About 3 weeks later I got my check for two dollars and fifty four cents and I have never shopped at Sears since.

I do however go to Sears and cut the pockets out of the most expensive clothes they sell. I figure this covers my time, postage and frustration at being tossed aside; that and urban terrorism is the only recourse an individual has against a coorporation these days.

Comments

Sears has gone downhill & continues to... They have their employees post responses on complaint sites like these to humiliate the complaining consumer.

It is even worse when you complain in their stores to any management (they will publicly humiliate you), and their corporate complaint process is a complete waste of time. Spend your hard earned money anywhere else but Sears...

P.S.

Don't cut pockets out, you will be arrested and go to jail. Just post all over the internet like I do, and soon they will be out of business.