1K views
With Company response Not resolved

I bought a pair of 10K gold hoop earrings on sale for $29.99 supposedly marked down from $129.00. They had a very nice looking greek key geometric pattern. There were other $129 dollar hoop earrings too marking down just 60% though. So these were an especially "good deal".

Took them to a boutique jeweler afterward who weighed them. They only weighed half a gram, combined. The gold itself was worth about $5 and the estimated retail value was guessed at around 30 dollars. Some "deal".... I immediately returned them for a full refund as they were unworn and same-day purchase.

To conclude-- yes, the earrings were worth the 30 dollars. BUT the sales tactic of pretending they ought to sell for $129 is ridiculous. On principle I returned them and will be careful about falling prey to paying potentially hundreds of dollars for any regularly priced items that may contain just 0.5 grams (or $5 worth) of gold.

Comments

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada #1281484

Never purchase jewelry at Sears again!!!!!!

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada #1281483

I also bought a pair for $29, store price was $129.First time putting them on they broke, only to find they also had very little gold on them.

TOTAL RIP OFF.New purchase jewelry at Sears again.

Mays Landing, New Jersey, United States #1278014

I know jewelery. And when I stumbled on the deal for 90 percent discount, I was skeptical.

I was not buying for me, just needed a nice present.

I found something that was ideal for whom I was purchasing the gift for.

The price tag was 100 more than I paid. And no, I would have never paid retail asking price.

I think it's their way to move inexpensive merchandise and still earn a profit.

Kodiak, Alaska, United States #849629

11) you have lot of nerve to buy cheap jewelry at Sears and then waste a real Jewelers time.

What do you expect.

I just hope you did not drool on the real Jewelers counters.

2) "Sale Price". You were fair game when you said "hello".

Cheap jewelry is cheap jewelry.Give me an honest merchant with honest pricing anytime.

3) grow up and stop wasting bandwidth.

to DeeDee Mississauga, Ontario, Canada #849907

Wow, what a venomous response; you are apparently a really bitter woman in the jewelry industry.I actually find this story a tad interesting.

And yes no one should buy cheap crappy dept store jewelry.Best of luck to all.

SearsCares
Sears Response

To BuzzG,

I certainly understand how you would feel misled regarding the value of the earrings that you purchased and why you chose to return them. The last thing that we want is to have a customer feel that they were taken advantage of and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you further about this issue and to make things right. My name is James and I’m part of the Sears Cares Escalations team. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smsupport@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (BuzzG) for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.

Social Media Moderator

Sears Social Media Support

aaronobrien25
to Sears Response Kearney, Nebraska, United States #1255975

This is still happening. I was scammed buying a supposed 25000 bracelet cheap. Yet the manufacturer of the bracelet was asking the price I paid thankful for screenshot I saved everything