In late February 2008 I purchased a Craftsman riding mower, Model 917. 287242. In August of 2009, I had an issue with it: it would not start. The starter had literally fallen apart! Of course I called Sears Home hotline; the first question out of the technician's mouth was, "Do you use fresh gasoline in the mower?" When I told him yes, we always do, he finally, reluctantly, sent a mechanic out to look at it. Sure enough, the starter had fallen apart... It took FIVE WEEKS for the man to return to put a new starter on this riding mower!!!

Now I have a new issue: just for the past week, the selfsame mower has been smoking and stalling. Of course my husband and I both know what the matter is: the oil ring, the compression ring, or both are shot and that engine is not long for this world. So I called the hotline again.

The first question out of that technician's mouth was, did we mow on a greater-than-15-degree slope. Well, no; while we do have a couple of slopes here in the southeastern Ohio hills, we have better sense than to try! The next question was, did we keep the oil changed on a regular basis, and did we at any time overfill the oil reservoir? Of course we kept the oil changed! -- the dratted thing cost us close to $1500 out of our retirement money! And *of course* we did not overfill the reservoir; again, we know better.

The long and the short of it was, the young lady could send a mechanic out, but if this person found *WE* had damaged the engine in any way, the warranty would be void and we would have to pay for the service call. So I hung up.

I firmly believe that the Sears salesmen should be schooled to ask if the buyer is going to use these mowers at any time on hilly terrain. That way, if the answer is yes, the consumer can go away and look for a mower that is up to the task! There are several makes that are. As for Sears "warranties" on their power machinery............

Comments

Sears does "NOT" care, "Scott" or whatever your name is.

I have a 2011 Craftsman riding mower. It spontaneously blew the drive shaft.

Your "Blue Team" guy came out, did basically nothing, and the pronounced that the "crankshaft" had blown because we had hit something with the blades. Oh and the warranty won't cover it as a result. Now, I have done my homework. I have consulted other mechanics, including Briggs and Stratton repairmen.

They say EVEN if the blades had been encumbered by something, the belt on the mower deck would have broken first. And if that hadn't broken, the flywheel pin would have broken (that's why it's there). There is NOTHING that would have blown the DRIVE shaft (it wasn't the crankshaft), and even Briggs and Stratton HQ said this should be covered by your warranty (unfortunatly B&S have a "deal" with Craftsman where the engine is also covered by Craftsman, not by them). So don't give me this *** about Sears "caring," they will use whatever line of nonsense they can to weasel out of their warranty.

I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH CRAFTSMAN AND SEARS AGAIN, and I URGE everyone to do the same. A warranty with Sears is a broken promise.

#192453

Dear Yzoldowl,

I'm sorry for the late response to your post here; I just came across it. I was saddened to learn of the trouble you've encountered with your Craftsman riding mower and getting it repaired. I know both your time and money are valuable and it is naturally not Sears motive to waste either. I'm Scott with Sears Cares Escalations; we'd like to try and assist you. At your convenience please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the mower was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (Yzoldowl) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.