With Company response Not resolved

We bought our home with brand new appliances in it on December 15, 2011. The developer of our home bought the fridge on July 10, 2011. No one had ever used them until we moved into the house. We noticed from Day 1 that the fridge RAN MUCH LOUDER than we'd expect a brand new fridge to run.

Fast-forward to September 6, 2012 when our beautiful Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel fridge suddenly became even louder and stopped cooling. The store says they are unable to make any exchanges or otherwise help us. I tried to reason with them that the fridge had not been in service for even 9 months, but there was absolutely no effort to help me out.

So, I called the Sears repair hotline, and the operator said, "I am sorry your fridge stopped working, sir. Unfortunately your fridge is out of warranty, but I can sell you an additional 1 year service contract for only $275." REALLY?! Not feelin' the love, Sears! Again absolutely no effort to help me out, it was like the operator was in a loop to offer me the extended warranty (it is apparent that all she is trained to do is sell the contract). When I asked to speak with her manager, she said ok and put me on hold. After about 2 minutes, she came back on the line, saying she had spoken with the manager and that there was absolutely no way they could extend the warranty by only 8 weeks. I broke down and bought the $275 contract, not seeing any other viable solutions. Our repair appointment was booked for that very day. A technician came and had to order a compressor, which was backordered 2 weeks, so our next tech was scheduled for Sept 20. The repair was over the plan's $500/repair limit, so we paid $105 too. Turns out the parts arrived in only 5 days, and when I tried to reschedule, there was strangely no repair appointment available until the 25th, so I kept my original appointment for the 20th.

On Sept 29, we had a warm fridge again. On October 3, a tech came out and said the part was defective, we needed another compressor (yes, it was back-ordered again)! Sears was good about trying to locate a compressor quicker, but it still took until October 17 for our repair to be completed.

As of October 27, the fridge again has stopped working. We have an appointment for tomorrow, October 30.

This means that during the past 2 months, our fridge has worked for about 30% of the time. We are a family with kids aged 6, 4, and 1. Every time a service appointment is made, we cannot leave the house during a 4 hour period either 8 am-12 noon or 1-5 pm. We simply cannot function this way any longer. Our "service plan" offers a $500 credit toward a new fridge if they decide it is unrepairable. I am afraid we are probably to the unrepairable point (we'll find out tomorrow), and $500 credit will simply NEVER cover the entire cost of another fridge. Besides, we already have spent $380 for the service plan plus repairs. A fridge that has been in use for less than 1 year simply should not die!!

DO NOT BUY KENMORE APPLIANCES, LEST YOU BE TREATED THE SAME WAY!

Review about: Sears Repair.

Comments

bustedfridgeinMN
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #576012

Well, very shortly after posting here, Sears contacted me and to make a long story short, they offered to buy us a new fridge and refund our money for the service plan and repair. I was very pleased with the way the resolution was handled in the end, as we now have a different fridge model and we love it!

SearsCares
Sears Response

To: bustedfridgeinMN,

We are sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with your refrigerator. It is our goal at Sears to provide our customers with the highest quality of products that exceed your expectations. This is clearly not the case for you and we would appreciate the opportunity to assist you. My name is Dianne with the Sears Social Media Escalations Team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at SMAdvisor@searshc.com so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (bustedfridgeinMN) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Dianne D.