Great Barrington, Massachusetts
2.3

We took delivery of a Simmons Beautyrest Mattress purchased at our local Sears store and immediately noticed it had a chemical odor.  My wife refused to sleep on it and I proceeded to call the 1 800 FROM-*** number to try to resolve the problem.  I was told that I would have to use the mattress for 30 days before I could return it and that the smell would dissipate in about a week.  I was also told that unless the mattress was defective I would be charged a 15% restocking fee as well as a delivery charge for picking up the mattress.

After airing it out for a week I wrapped the mattress in waterproof cover to mitigate the remaining smell and tried to sleep on it (alone).  This was definitely NOT the same Mattress I lied on at the Sears store it was considerably harder, akin to lying on a carpeted floor.  After three hours I couldn't take it anymore, the pain in my back and shoulders forced me to head for the couch.  The next few nights were the same. At that point I went on amazon and ordered a 3" memory foam topper.

I looked around the internet a found that those who sold mattress's recommend "breaking a new mattress in" I was also told about the “break in” by the Sears people.  I went back to the Sears store to lie on the display model to confirm that it was different then the one in our bedroom. While at the store I was told that the display model was "broken in by all the people who come try out the mattresses and that it was only a matter of time before my mattress would be soft like the store model".  This Sears is in a mall that is clearly dying, in the 5 or so hours over several visits that we spent in the store we were the sole customers, all the salesperson's time was devoted to our bed sale.  I don't know who the people who broke in the beds were but they weren't around when we were there.  We only spent about 10 minutes on that particular mattress.  I concluded that the mattress in the store was defiantly not the same as the toxic torture rack that was in my bedroom.

Finally the topper arrived and I was able to coax my wife into vacating the guest bedroom.  It has been almost a month, we have cornered the market on ibuprofen and constantly have the slight scent of formaldehyde/gasoline in the back of our sinus. The topper helped a little but this bed id still unbearable.  We went to change the sheets yesterday and a soon as the plastic cover came off the toxic fumes filled the room.  There are now body pod indentations with a ridge in the middle of the bed, it isn't going to get more "broken in".

I called 1 800 SCREWU number again insisting that this mattress was defective because of the toxic odor.  I was told that I could purchase another bed but would still have to pay the 15% restocking fee plus a charge to pick up the other mattress.

The bottom line is that Sears thinks it can bring you a sack of dung to sleep on and that you have to live with it for thirty days and then pay big to have endured the experience.

soreback wrote the review because of damaged or defective at Sears. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Sears to issue a full refund.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Sears simmons beautyrest mattress for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments