2.4
Layout of Store

I found a treadmill in a Sears store but they didn't have it in stock. The associates suggested ordering it online and having it shipped to the store nearest me. It took two weeks for the treadmill to arrive and I picked it up from the Morehead City, NC store. After half a dozen uses, the belt began to fray and I was still within the 30 day return policy so I contacted Sears.com and asked what to do. Patricia (online chat) said it had to be returned to the store it was picked up from so I loaded it into a borrowed vehicle to return it to the store.

I arrived at Morehead City, NC store to return it. The woman, Jenna, was helpful but couldn't "find" the transaction in their system. It shouldn't have mattered since I had the online receipt and the store pick-up receipt. Her manager then told her that they didn't accept returns at the store because they are an outlet store. I called Sears.com for them to verify that this was true since I was specifically told to return it to this store. After an hour on the phone, they said it had to be returned to a full-line store, which is 50 miles from me. This in itself is completely unacceptable.

Since they refused to take it at the store and the woman, Ads, from Sears.com "couldn't do anything more", I was forced to take it to Jacksonville, NC. The gentleman at merchandise pick-up, Jason, was extremely helpful but, again, for whatever reason they couldn't find it in their system even after entering everything from the receipts. He called Sears.com to see what the problem was and the woman on the phone told him it had to be returned to Morehead City, NC store. At this point, I was steaming mad and he told the woman I was told to return it to Jacksonville, NC. She said she can see where it was noted on the file that it was to be returned to Jacksonville but policy said it had to go to the store it was picked up from. Finally, I got on the phone with her and said I don't care what she has to say because they can't seem to get their information straight. I refused to leave the store with the treadmill and got on the phone with my credit card company to file a fraudulent charge. The woman on the phone then said because the order was placed over 30 days ago, I couldn't return it even though the order never arrived in store for two weeks after the date of purchase. It clearly showed the date that I paid in full and received the item at the store. She argued that it was from the date of purchase so I said if an item was out of stock and ordered online, I paid for it and it took 6 weeks to arrive, I couldn't return it. She said, "well no that's different." No, it's not different. Sears is simply trying to step around their return policy! She then said I should call a technician to come fix the problem. Are you serious?! After sending me on a wild goose chase with incorrect information, I was furious.

The manager at the Jacksonville, NC store was helpful. She finally told me to just hang up with Sears.com and she would refund the money. She couldn't believe the run around that I was given. I will never shop with Sears again. Ever.

Side note: Several workers at the Jacksonville, NC store said the manager at the Morehead City, NC store is a liar. They are not an outlet store, they are a home store and they absolutely MUST do returns there.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. boss_ch1ck stated that there is a room for improvement of store manager and foriegn customer service. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of sears manager and associated monetary loss in the amount of $150. Sears needs to "reimburse me for driving 100 miles (return trip) to a store i didn't need to go to to make a return even though sears.com insisted i did then changed their minds once i was at that store" according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned sears manager in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Sears.

Comments