Update by user Sep 18

Yet another update (stupidity reaching critical mass)! Facebook messaging texts ...

Sears Thanks so much for reaching out to us, Ken. We are disappointed to hear about the ongoing issues with your dishwasher repair. This is certainly not the type of experience we want for our members. If you could please send us a private message confirming the name, address, and phone number associated with your account we would be more than happy to take a look into the repair details.

-SMT Ken PII sent> Ken Text of Complaint : Dear Service Rep., The ridiculousness of this entire situation is so utterly astounding that I really don’t know where to begin. On 9/13/2018 we had a service technician check out our dishwasher because it leaked last year and she wanted to make certain the gasket they replace was still in good order. The tech did note that a cosmetic piece was degrading and ordered a new one before he left. After the technician departed, my wife filled up the dishwasher and turned it on.

What transpired next was one of the stupidest episodes I have ever had the misfortune of being a party to. The third call was yet again to another foreign call center where they apparently don’t have working receivers as the person claiming to “a supervisor” proceeded to constantly talk over me without listening to a word I said. It was readily apparent that she was reading composed lines from a script and my call didn’t fit her scripted lines. Eventually she just hung up on me, which in hindsight was just fine as she had no comprehension of anything I was saying, instead yammering on from her script.

The forth call was something out of “Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There”. I immediately asked the service person for “the highest ranking person either present, or that they could connect me with.” Luckily I only had to calmly repeat myself three times and reassured him that it was nothing of his doing before he finally connected me with someone wo he claimed “this is the highest ranking person I can connect you with” (Thank God, at least he got it!) When I explained the situation to this “supervisor”, she stated it was not their policy and that the system would not allow for anyone to come out before that cosmetic part had arrived and that appointment scheduled. I once again explained that the part was cosmetic, the technician had told us to call to escalate the order, and that someone need to come out to diagnose what this new problem was so they could order any parts that they me need. She replied that “it would be noted on my record”.

I then tried to reason with her that the situation was analogous to a mechanic saying “they refuse to diagnose why my car doesn’t run until they get the window they ordered in and schedule an appointment to install it”. She again replied “it would be noted on my record”. “May I have that in writing?”, I asked. “No, it is policy”, she replied.

“Then may I have the policy in writing?”, I asked. “No, it will be noted on your record”, she responded. What good is this “record” that I cannot see or touch, along with secret policies sounding more like “You’re on double-secret probation” from Animal House. I wanted something is writing as nobody in their right mind would believe that it is Sears policy to have their technicians break appliances and then leave them for weeks on end, until if, or when they feel like honoring a service agreement the customer paid for.

This smacks of impropriety at least, and fraud at most. And just as your call centers record calls for “quality purposes”, I reserve the right to share this letter, and any and all responses to the general public and government officials as I see fit. Sears Thanks for confirming that information for us, Ken. We see that you are currently set for service on Thursday, 9/20.

Has this information been relayed to you? -SMT SAT 3:41PM Ken Yes, that date is not firm though due to your "secret policy" that you will not send out a technician to examine what they broke until the cosmetic part arrives, which incidentally is on backorder. Not acceptable. SAT 5:23PM Sears Hi Ken, we hear you, so we escalated your issue to the service unit and requested they try and acquire the part locally, instead of waiting for the manufacturer to send it out.

Please allow 24-48 hours for a response ... thanks! TUE 6:04PM Ken So much for your escalation, your service department just canceled the appointment. What good is your service contract when it does not include actual service?

Sears Hi Ken, we apologize for any frustration or trouble this has caused! Your part is expected to arrive this week and you're currently scheduled for 9/28. Please let us know when you receive the part and we can make sure you get the soonest appointment available! -SMT Ken You DO realize that there are other problems this part will not fix?

The technician broke something, probably the control board, that rendered the dishwasher completely inoperative. Someone needs to diagnose what else is broken so ALL the parts can be ordered. Again we are back to "the situation being analogous to a mechanic saying “they refuse to diagnose why my car doesn’t run until they get the window they ordered in and schedule an appointment to install it”. Do I have to resort to causing PR headaches before any of you will do the right thing?

I paid good money for a service contract and all I'm receiving for it is aggravation. Get with the program and fix the problem instead of stringing me along. Sears We know how frustrating this is for you and we're working behind the scenes to get this resolved for you. We appreciate your continued patience.

TUE 7:54PM Ken How about I come over to your house and render your dishwasher inoperable, give you no date when it will be fixed by, and then maybe you might know my "frustration". [Editor's note: I love how when facts get in the way, they resort to using your last name.] Sears Mr. B…., that may be difficult, we don't have a dishwasher in our house. We can inform the service unit of the updates, but there is not a sooner service list for dishwashers.

We are doing what we can to get it resolved for you. Thank you for the feedback. -SMT Ken Like "escalating = canceling the appointment altogether". I'll give you a hint, that's not helping.

Sears Ah, we see the confusion, you had a duplicate order opened for the same item; there isn't a reason to have 2 orders open for the same item, the duplicate order was cancelled, but you still have the same appointment with the part ordered. The outcome would have been the same, we apologize you saw it as a service cancelled when it wasn't; the same order would still be there with the same part. It is a system error to have 2 orders open at the same time for one item, we do apologize. -SMT Ken So is someone going to come out to figure out what the technician broke so we can get ALL the parts ordered, or are we going to milk this problem for the next month or two?

This is entirely unprofessional. And when are you now claiming they are coming out? Sears Mr. B…., the technician is not going to come out before the 28th; everything will be assessed then.

We have noted on the service order that the item is damaged, if you would like to make a damage claim, you can do so by calling Sedgwick 800-727-0121 opt 1 for new claims; Other than that we will see you on the 28th. Thank you! -SMT Ken So this is how you "escalate" orders by pushing the date back by over a week!

I will be sharing this with the public and government agencies as I see fit. [End of texts, so far.]

Original review posted by user Sep 14

After the technician departed, my wife filled up the dishwasher and turned it on. It ran through the cleaning cycle uneventfully, but at the end it refused to drain and began slowly leaking onto the floor. The first call to Sears the service department we were told to call back tomorrow. I ask “why they could not schedule an appointment now?” to which we never received a coherent answer. Second call was to the technician who told us to call them back and tell them they need to “escalate the order”. What transpired next was one of the stupidest episodes I have ever had the misfortune of being a party to.

The third call was yet again to another foreign call center where they apparently don’t have working receivers as the person claiming to “a supervisor” proceeded to constantly talk over me without listening to a word I said. It was readily apparent that she was reading composed lines from a script and my call didn’t fit her scripted lines. It was like she was talking to someone else and I could only here her side of the conversation. Eventually she just hung up on me, which in hindsight was just fine as she had no comprehension of anything I was saying, instead continuously yammering on from her script.

The forth call was something out of “Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There”. I immediately asked the service person for “the highest ranking person either present, or that they could connect me with.” Luckily I only had to calmly repeat myself three times and reassured him that it was nothing of his doing before he finally connected me with someone who he claimed “this is the highest ranking person I can connect you with” (Thank God, at least he got it!) When I explained the situation to this “supervisor”, she stated it was not their policy and that the system would not allow for anyone to come out before that cosmetic part had arrived and that appointment scheduled. I once again explained that the part was cosmetic, the technician had told us to call to escalate the order, and that someone needed to come out to diagnose what this new problem was so they could order any parts that they may need. She replied that “it would be noted on my record”. I then tried to reason with her that the situation was analogous to a mechanic saying “they refuse to diagnose why my car doesn’t run until they get the window they ordered in and schedule an appointment to install it”. She again replied “it would be noted on my record”. “May I have that in writing?” I asked. “No, it is policy.” she replied. “Then may I have the policy in writing?” I asked. “No, it will be noted on your record” she responded.

What good is this “record” that I cannot see or touch, along with secret policies sounding more like “You’re on double-secret probation” from Animal House that they will not put in writing? I wanted something in writing as nobody in their right mind would believe that it is Sears policy to have their technicians break appliances and then leave them for weeks on end, until if, or when, they feel like honoring a service agreement the customer paid for. This smacks of impropriety at least, and fraud at most.

(see attached image)

“There’s a reason for this!”

Product or Service Mentioned: Sears Dishwasher Repair.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

I didn't like: Secret policies, Runaround, Indifferent service personnel, Refusal to honor service agreement hassle free, Refusal to honor service agreement in timely fashion.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 14.

Comments