I bought snow tire chains at the Bellingham, WA store and was told at the time that I could return them to any Sears Auto Center if they were unopened. I didn't use them and the case is still factory sealed.

I tried to return them to the Carlsbad, CA store and they refused to take them back even though I have a receipt and it is well within the 90-day return period. It took 90 minutes of talking to indifferent sales people, multiple phone calls, and finally talking to the manager and they still wouldn't budge. They even called the original store to see if this item is returnable and they said it is. The receipt clearly says Satisfaction Guaranteed and everything is returnable within 90 days with a receipt.

There are no limitations stated about brand new, unused items. I only bought these at Sears because they told me I could return them. If I had known they would refuse to take them back I would have paid half the price as another auto parts store.

The service at the Carlsbad location was totally ridiculous. Nobody cared at all, just said this is their "policy" even though that is not what the printed return policy says on the receipt.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from May 17, 2011.

Comments

Update: After complaining to Sears corporate, the Carlsbad Auto Center agreed to issue a refund, minus a 15% restocking fee. In other words, they honored their printed return policy.

Too bad it took a formal complaint to get them to do the right thing. They have lost a long-time customer over $50.

Sears will not allow me to exchange a new craftsman tool for another size tool. They are K-MART in every respect. And will not have my $ ever again.